As a faculty member, you can serve your community by:
- applying your disciplinary knowledge to address community needs
- participating in educational equity and outreach efforts
- serving on advisory boards in the community
- providing educational workshops in the community
- doing volunteer or pro-bono work in the community
CSUF faculty honored for their community service
Community service can benefit your students as well as your community, your department, and the university by fueling service learning opportunities and internships in the curriculum, modeling for students the application of knowledge to meet real-world needs, and expanding networking and mentoring opportunities available to students.
Community service can also inform your scholarship, particularly scholarship of engagement, which connects scholarship to the understanding and solving of pressing social, civic, and ethical problems.